Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My review of "Think Like a Man"


Think Like a Man was an instant hit at the box office after its opening on April 20, 2012. It debuted at number one with $33 million, knocking down The Hunger Games, which spent four weeks as number one with only $14.5 million.

Four friends conspire to turn the tables on their women when they discover the ladies have been using Steve Harvey's relationship advice against them.

I must admit , I was not among the masses that were jumping up and down in anticipation of the film. It’s an adaptation of comedian and actor Steve Harvey's book Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man.

1. I am not a fan of comedy films about breakups and make ups. 
2. I am not a fan of Steve Harvey. 
3. I am not a fan of comedian and actor Kevin Hart, one of the main characters in the film and its narrator. 

Still, I went to see it to find out what the hype was all about and to gaze at three actresses whom I find absolutely stunning – Oscar-nominated Taraji P Henson, Meagan Good and Gabrielle Union.

Taraji P Henson, Meagan Good and Gabrielle Union attend the premiere of Think Like a Man.

The women certainly did not disappoint as there was no shortage of sex appeal. They were more beautiful than ever and their outfits were as skimpy and tight as they could be without getting too 'hoochie'.  There were even some steamy lovemaking scenes. Everything else, for me, was, well, lukewarm. In other words, everything else was WACKY!

Almost everybody in the film, at one point or another, was a 'bitch' or a 'nigga'. When they were upset, they addressed each other as bitches and niggas. When they were jovial, they were still bitches and niggas. Even the men addressed each other as bitch. Those two words were thrown around too frequently and casually throughout the film, and were used in attempts to be funny. The cast could have been just as funny and effective in their messages without giving each other such derogatory names. I certainly found the language off-putting.

There was a joke by Kevin Hart's character - “Niggas are the only people who buy things they can’t afford,” or something to that effect. Of course, the theatre erupted into laughter, but I didn’t find it funny.

Taraji Henson’s character, being in a top management position, was the most successful and wealthiest of the women. When she opened her mouth, however, she was the loudest and most vulgar. I don’t know if that disconnect was deliberate, and if it was, I don't get the point at all. Again, it's as though the writers felt vulgarity was necessary for there to be hilarity. 

A few of the couples quickly fell in love and were as quick to break up. They fell deeply in love after just one date, or one sight. 'Love at first sight' was certainly a prominent theme. Basically, they all experience different  sorts of problems in their relationships. In the end, they work out their issues and live happily ever after. The whole thing was so predictable! 

Maybe you saw it and liked it; maybe you will see it and give it a thumbs up, or maybe like me, you will leave with a little smile and a big “WTF!”

I like what someone wrote online, "The movie is nothing but an infomercial for Steve Harvey's book."

A review of Think Like a Man by Grace Randolph

5 comments:

  1. Im still going to see it this weekend lol..then I'll let u know wat I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie- I thought it was ok... I must admit I wanted to see it but I definitely wasn't about the 'hype'. I read the book so I found it more predictable, as say for someone who didn't read the book and just went to the movies to see the film. Overall I give the movie- a fair rating- for effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book way before the movie came out and I do not find the movie predictable. Certainly the themes in the book are put across, but the book does not base itself around a story as is displayed in the movie.
    I found the movie fun and entertaining. Not a deep movie and I do not think that was the intent of anyone involved. It's good entertainment after a hard week.
    I think your dislike for many of the major influences to the movie has certainly attributed to your stance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ideally, having a looser structure based around life lessons (of a sort) would allow the self-help rom-com to slip out of the boy-meets-girl, loses-girl, gets-girl grind, but here it just serves to multiply the predictability. The movie lines up a pretty good cast and, when it can gain some real momentum away from Harvey’s book, it can be a fairly decent, if still underwhelming, picture. But that doesn’t happen often enough. Good review Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never read the book, don't intend to. And I realize the movie was major promo for the book, but I still enjoyed it. I found it was very funny. But I do think you made some valid points with the repetitive use of 'bitch' and 'nigga', as well as the disconnect between Taraji's character. Two things I didn't actually pick up in the movie because I guess I'm so used to these terms being used, though I don't use them myself, and because I figured Harvey was trying to play into stereotypes when he created the different characters. I would still recommend it over any Tyler Perry movie I've seen.

    ReplyDelete