Monday, August 6, 2012

Kirani James: The Grenadian Star

“Tears in my eyes after seeing the feature story of Grenada on NBC. The Grenadian athlete is such an outstanding young man, and he reminds me a little of my brother. I think they look alike too. You know, every once in a while, a star emerges on the scene and what I love about stardom is that it has no bias. It can come to anyone from anywhere, from the rural village of a tiny Caribbean island of 100,000, anywhere.”

Everybody is cheering on their country’s athletes at the Olympic Games in London. To be brutally honest, I usually don’t care about any other country’s performance but my own – Jamaica. That changed when, on August 6th, I watched the men’s 400 m finals. A young man in a green, yellow and red track outfit, representing the tiny Island of Grenada, had the world willing him to win. Kirani James, 19, was the favorite to win the race, but I became a fan of his after seeing how well he represented his country with pride and eloquence. He was putting Genada on the map while ensuring that the country’s first ever Olympic medal would be nothing less than one of gold. I was most impressed, however, by James’ golden character when he displayed world-class humility and sportsmanship after winning the semifinal race. The Grenadian star embraced Oscar Pistorius, the inspirational South African double amputee runner who finished last. In a show of respect and solidarity, James asked him to exchange name stickers.


After winning a race, Grenada's Kirani James embraces double amputee Oscar Pistorius of South Africa. 

Kirani James won the gold medal and as a feature story of Grenada was aired on NBC, I welled up with tears because I knew what it felt like to have one’s tiny country in the limelight on the international stage. I imagined the mothers and fathers of Grenada beaming with pride because their own had made them immensely proud. I thought of the boys and girls of Grenada who will dare to dream because they have seen what can happen. Their next-door neighbor was number one in the world. Not everyone is suited for athletics, but I hope little boys and girls realize that they too can become shining stars if they dream big dreams and work hard enough.

Double Amputee Oscar Pistorius might have finished last, but he finished the race and inspired millions at the London Olympic Games. He won his heat but failed to move on after the semifinal race. 

Kirani James wins gold in the 400 m track, bringing home Grenada's first Olympic medal 

There is a gem I learned in school, in Jamaica, when I was a little boy. It reads, “The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night.” You see, I plan to toil upward in the night because I too want to be the best I can be in what I do. I would rather die than settle for mediocrity. Do you have the same burning desire to succeed?



No comments:

Post a Comment